LAST MASS AT ST. BERNADETTE’S CHURCH - Fall River, MA
On August 5th, Srs. Carmel Ethier, Lina Lavoie, Therese Picard and Diane Dube attended the final Mass at St. Bernadette's Church in Fall River. When our sisters arrived from Canada in 1877, the parish was called Notre Dame and later changed to St. Bernadette. Since this was our first "home" in the US, some of us wanted to acknowledge the closing of the parish.
This stained glass window was salvaged from the fire that destroyed the original Notre Dame Church.
The choir was directed by Jeannette (Robidoux) Masse, one of our former sisters, and the selections chosen were very fitting. The opening hymn was "Sing a New Song".
Ms Henriette Roy and Jeannette lead the congregation in singing “J’irai la voir un jour”, to which the whole church responded in applause.
Below are Bishop Edgar da Cunha, Pastor Jay Maddock, Fr. Michael Racine, and Fr. Richard Chretien; the last priest is unnamed.
In this photo on the right, Bishop da Cunha gives the final blessing.
- Sr. Diane Dube, RJM
Photos by Sr. Carmel Ethier, RJM