JPIC Committee Anti-Racism Project
St. Francis Xavier Church in NYC joins people in our country and around the world in a commitment to racial justice and created this PLEDGE.
With their permission, I offer part of it in BRIDGES for your reading and reflection as we address this issue in our Province. - Sr. Kathleen Scanlon RJM
- Do you support justice, equity and compassion in human relations?
- Do you affirm that white privilege is unfair and harmful to those who have it and to those who do not?
- Do you affirm that white privilege and the culture of white supremacy must be dismantled wherever it is present?
- Do you support racial equity, justice, and liberation for every person?
- Do you affirm the inherent worth and dignity of every person?
Therefore, from this day forward…
- Will you strive to understand more deeply the injustice and suffering white privilege and white supremacy cause?
- Will you commit to help transform our church culture to one that is actively engaged in seeking racial justice and equity for everyone?
- Will you make a greater effort to treat all people with the same respect you expect to receive?
- Will you commit to developing the courage to live your beliefs and values of racial justice and equality?
- Will you strive daily to erase racial prejudices from your thoughts and actions so you can better promote the racial justice efforts of our Church?
- Will you renew and honor this pledge daily knowing that our Church, our community and our world will be better places because of our efforts?